There is no trailer without us!
All spare parts from one hand.

Excursion at the time of the coronavirus: questions regarding motorway vignette purchase for caravans and motorhomes

In our previous blog post we detailed what we need to check on our vehicle when travelling by caravan or in a motorhome.  Continuing the topic we thought it might be useful to talk about the motorway vignette price categories in Hungary as well. How can we decide which vignette to buy before travelling? We are looking for the answer to this in our current blog post.

Kirándulás koronavírus idején: az autópálya matrica fizetés kérdései lakókocsi vagy lakóautó esetén Autóflex

Which motorway vignette should you purchase when travelling by caravan or in a motorhome?

Based on the information in the traffic licence, we can easily find our way around the information on the website of the National Toll Payment Services PLC. You should check the vehicle category (field J), the number of persons that can be transported (field S.1) and the maximum permissible laden weight of the vehicle (field F.1).

Category D1:

“Motorcycles as well as passenger cars with a maximum permissible laden weight of not more than 3.5 tonnes which is capable of carrying up to 7 persons and its trailer.” Caravans and motorhomes weighing less than 3.5 tonnes belong to category D1. (Other conditions: field J: M1, field S.1: 7 or less.)

Category D2:

“All vehicles that do no belong to other toll categories and are not subject to toll fees under separate legislations. (If the vehicle registration certificate contains a classification N1 in field J (Vehicle category), then the vehicle, regardless of the number of persons that can be transported, belongs to category D2.)” Caravans and motorhomes heavier than 3.5 tonnes are in category D2 if the above mentioned conditions are met.

Category B2:

“Bus: a passenger car with more than 9 permanent seats, including the driver’s seat.”

Category U (trailer):

“The tow of vehicles belonging to categories D2 and B2” If you are towing a caravan of less that 3.5 tonnes and your vehicle is in category D2 or B2, you will need to purchase a separate category U vignette alongside the D2 or B2.

For more information, please refer to the National Toll Payment Services PLC. Current tariff table for e-vignettes.

Before you embark, make sure that everything works perfectly on your caravan or motorhome. If you need any Autóflex-Knott trailer parts, you can buy them in our webshop or order them at or at our domestic sales line at +3676502058.